New season


Since diving went kind of well in November and I still had thoughts of my interrupted world record attempt lingering in my head, I went for a radical new approach this year: I have quit the snowboarding season (painful!) and was going to replace it with all out, full on freediving training, losing the Christmas kilos in January, ready for the depth in Sharm come February.


Needless to say, this did no go as planned. The nasty bugs got me on the first day of the new year and I spent two weeks sniffling on the sofa. To make up for lost time, I hit the gym with a vengeance as soon as I felt better, with pooltraining, sprint intervals on the bike, weights and streching every day. It was wonderful and fun. It lasted ten days, then I added a day at the dive show into the mix and headed straight back to the sofa with the flu.

Even my favorite diving doctor, who had threatened to put me back on the bike to see how unfit I got over Christmas, was having none of it when I turned up with my sports bag. How upsetting! All those last minute sprint intervals for nothing! I batted my eyelashes at him and moaned a bit, and I do believe I got him to consider testing me after all, but his medical good sense kept the upper hand and he would not let me near the evil bike machine. Phew!


Then again. I might whine and complain, but in the end it's kind of funky to find out how strong you are - or not... in any case, we just did the regular lung stuff, which held no surprises: my lungvolume is still nice and small. Evil doctor confirmed that I may go and dive, once the flu is gone, and that he still has no idea how or why it is possible for me to get down there.

I thought about postponing the trip, since the bugs showed no sign of leaving me alone, but evil doctor and I both thought the lovely, warmer climate of Sharm El Sheikh would speed the recovery.

I have rarely been more wrong. It is FREEZING and I am still sick!

Aaaaaargh.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

Patience. Patience. Ohhhhmmmmmmmmmmm.......sniff.

Comments

Popular Posts